In response to COVID-19, we’ve made some essential changes to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
The National Aquarium's connection to Baltimore, to Maryland and to the entire Chesapeake region is not simply a matter of location; these are our communities. Our mission to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures is deeply rooted here in Baltimore, and we carry this mission beyond our walls by providing accessible education experiences, innovative conservation initiatives and ample opportunity for reliable Aquarium access through an array of socially valuable programs.
Locals Visit for Less
Baltimore, this is YOUR Aquarium! With an ever-expanding lineup of opportunities for local residents to visit for free or reduced admission.
We encourage you to take advantage of the range of programs and events available to our surrounding communities. Please consult our calendar of events for specific dates and restrictions.
At the conclusion of each school year, we offer free admission for Baltimore-area students in grades pre-K through 12 who have earned three or more A's in any subject area during that year and reduced admission for their families on two very special nights!
Sign up for our Grade A Updates list if you'd like be to alerted when tickets become available for this event.
Presented by Pepsi
Every Friday, year 'round, Aquarium admission is just half-price after 5 pm.
Presented by M&T Bank
Reduced admission tickets are available to Marylanders who visit before noon every Sunday through Friday from September through February. Get all the details on our Maryland Mornings special offer, including blackout dates and pricing.
For one evening in October, the Aquarium offers free admission as part of the Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts' Free Fall Baltimore celebration.
We are pleased to offer $1 admission for one weekend each December in collaboration with the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore.
Read to Reef
Free Aquarium admission is available to young readers and their families each spring and fall through participation in our book club! New seasons begin in March and October when bookmarks become available at Enoch Pratt Free Library branches.
In partnership with Enoch Pratt Free Library
Read to Reef: Spring 2021 Season
Bookmarks for the spring 2021 season of Read to Reef are available to Baltimore-area children in fifth grade and younger from Enoch Pratt Free Pratt Library branches starting March 8, 2021, or while supplies last. Readers have until June 27, 2021, to complete their reading and visit the National Aquarium.
For everyone's safety, we are requiring all visitors to reserve their timed entries to the Aquarium in advance. Before your visit, please review our updated protocols and procedures in response to COVID-19.
Click below to reserve a timed entry using your Read to Reef bookmark code.
Please note that Read to Reef bookmarks and corresponding National Aquarium tickets are intended only for Baltimore City students in fifth grade or younger. If you're in possession of a Read to Reef bookmark and can't use it, please give it to a young reader in your life.
Baltimore-area children in fifth grade and younger with a valid Enoch Pratt Free Library card may receive a Read to Reef bookmark and record the five aquatic- or conservation-themed books they have read that are appropriate for their age levels. Children may receive one bookmark per program season.
Did you know your child can have their own library card? Visit the Enoch Pratt Free Library website to learn how to apply. Please note the child must be present with parent, grandparent or legal guardian when registering.
Bookmarks for the spring 2021 season are available from Enoch Pratt Free Library branches throughout March 2021, or while supplies last.
You have until June 27, 2021, to complete your reading and visit the Aquarium.
Blackout dates for the spring season are March 29, 2021, April 2-3, 2021, and May 29-31, 2021.
- Bookmark must be completed in full with the titles of five books the child has read before arrival at the Aquarium.
- All Read to Reef guests must reserve their visit date and entry time in advance through our online ticket reservation portal. You will use the alphanumeric code printed on the bottom of your bookmark when reserving your tickets online. This code can only be used once for a maximum of four tickets. During the online reservation process, you will select the number of adult (12 years and older) and child (3 to 11 years old) tickets. Children 2 years and younger do not require tickets. If you do not use all four tickets in your transaction, they are forfeited and cannot be used on a separate day.
- Tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis through our online ticket reservation portal.
- Guests will need to stop by the will call window at the Aquarium on the day of their visit to pick up their timed entry tickets.
- The bookmark is for one-time-use and cannot be used for multiple visits.
- Bookmark is void if perforation is detached.
- The bookmark cannot be reproduced, is non-transferable, will not be replaced if lost and has no value.
- Tickets do not include 4D Immersion Films, special programs or events.
- Additional guests beyond the four admitted with the bookmark pay full admission rates.
- Bookmarks are subject to availability while supplies last and expire on June 27, 2021. Blackout dates are March 29, 2021, April 2-3, 2021, and May 29-31, 2021.
How to Participate
Families of Baltimore-area children in fifth grade and younger can call any Enoch Pratt Free Library branch to request a Read to Reef bookmark and pick it up at that location, while supplies last.
You have until March 31 to request a bookmark, but supplies are limited. Visit the Pratt Library's website for a list of branch locations and to request Read to Reef books for pickup, or to access them as e-books (select titles available).
Check out the list of the National Aquarium's favorite aquatic- or conservation-themed books, or ask your librarian for suggestions. Borrow, read or listen to someone read any five of these books and record them on your Read to Reef bookmark.
Reserve your tickets before your visit through our online ticket reservation portal using the code found on your Read to Reef bookmark. You have until June 27, 2021, to complete your reading and visit the Aquarium.
As a nonprofit organization whose mission is to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, the National Aquarium is eager to support other organizations in achieving their missions as well. We believe that, working together in our roles as vital community resources, nonprofit organizations strengthen our neighborhoods and ensure that all Marylanders can enjoy access to a vibrant array of accessible educational and recreational opportunities. When we work together, we help our communities to fully participate in and benefit from everything our city, state and region have to offer while building stronger, more resilient communities.
The Aquarium receives hundreds of ticket donation requests each year from other community nonprofits for charitable or fundraising purposes. Thanks to the generosity of friends, corporate partners and foundations, we are able to help our fellow nonprofits by granting as many requests as we possibly can each year.
Please note: All ticket donation requests must be made via our online form at least two months in advance of your event for consideration.
Donation Criteria and Guidelines
- The Aquarium will consider ticket donation requests from other 501(c)(3) organization serving Maryland communities. Preference is given to those that have conservation-focused missions or activities, promote successful outcomes for youth or families and help build strong communities.
- We cannot grant requests involving animal interactions, memberships or behind-the-scenes tours.
- All donation requests must be received a minimum of two-months prior to the date of the event. If your organization misses this deadline, feel free to submit your request for the next year.
- While you are free to submit multiple requests for different events, the Aquarium will only fulfill one request per organization per year.
Thanks to the generous support of our corporate community, the Aquarium is able to provide complimentary Community Connections tickets to qualifying nonprofits organizations, allowing their members to experience the Aquarium as guests of our corporate family.
Please note: While all applications are thoughtfully reviewed and considered, applications from civic organizations or social clubs are generally not accepted.
Donation Criteria and Guidelines
- The Aquarium's Community Connections program will consider requests from Maryland-based nonprofits with 501(c)(3) status. We require inclusion of tax-exempt documentation upon submission of your application for verification purposes.
- Qualifying nonprofits must agree to assign a day-to-day administrator of ticket distribution or group booking.
- Qualifying nonprofits must agree to complete an annual evaluation to review ticket program effectiveness and use.
- Requests are accepted on a rolling basis. Please allow four-to-six weeks for review and response.
- Requests may be made for individual tickets to distribute to your organization's constituents as you deem appropriate, or for group visits.
- Once accepted, your application does not need to be resubmitted, but additional future ticket requests will be reviewed against new applications.
Thanks to Maryland State Department of Education grant funding, the National Aquarium is able to serve more than 100,000 schoolchildren annually. We offer free visits for all Maryland school groups, in addition to a variety of other free or discounted school programs. Therefore, requests for donations to schools are generally declined. To book your free school trip, please learn more here.
Exclusive Benefits for Nonprofits
The National Aquarium is committed to ensuring access for our community and is grateful for the support we receive from other businesses and organizations that choose to support us in achieving our mission. Though nonprofits are welcome to join at any level, we have established a special nonprofit membership level to engage as many qualifying organizations as possible. Make an impact by giving your colleagues and clients access to exclusive Aquarium member benefits and unforgettable experiences.