City Nature Challenge 2023 will take place April 28 through May 1—sign up for our newsletter to receive reminders as the date approaches!
Get Nerdy with Nature
City Nature Challenge is an annual community science competition for cities across the globe to find and document the plants and wildlife found in urban areas. As regional coordinator, the National Aquarium is calling on community scientists to explore, identify and document urban wildlife in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
Participants will use the free iNaturalist app to record the species they find during the challenge. All observations made in the following counties and uploaded to iNaturalist during the challenge will automatically be counted towards Baltimore's City Nature Challenge totals: Baltimore City, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, Howard and Queen Anne's Counties.
The National Aquarium is committed to protecting, enhancing and restoring natural resources for the benefit of all people and wildlife throughout the Baltimore region. Part of that commitment includes knowing which species of wildlife live nearby and the types of habitats they need to thrive.
Help Baltimore to Victory
Join us in showcasing Baltimore's natural wonders to the world! Take the pledge and you will receive instructions on how to participate as well as reminders as challenge dates approach.
Ready, Set, Upload
New to iNaturalist? Check out this video for instructions on making your first observation upload, or follow the steps below.
Step 1: Download the iNaturalist app.
Step 2: Find wildlife and photograph what you find.
Step 3: Share your observations by uploading your pictures to iNaturalist.
City Nature Challenge 101
Join National Aquarium Conservation Project Manager Scott Shatto as he reviews everything you need to know about City Nature Challenge, including a demonstration of how to make an observation in iNaturalist.
Exploring Baltimore's Biodiversity
Check out the wildlife people are seeing in and around Baltimore today!
Calling All Community Scientists We're Getting Nerdy With Nature
Join a City Nature Challenge event with the National Aquarium!
Join an Event
Participate in a City Nature Challenge observation event with one of our partner organizations.
- Arundel Rivers Federation
- Baltimore Green Space
- Baltimore Office of Sustainability
- Baltimore Underground Science Space
- BCPS Outdoor Science
- Canton Kayak Club
- Carroll County Government
- Chesapeake Bay Trust
- Chesapeake Family Life
- City of Westminster Recreation and Parks
- Coppin State University
- Digital Harbor High School
- Eden Mill Nature Center
- Filbert Street Garden
- Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine
- Friends of Garrett Park
- Friends of Herring Run Parks
- The Friends of Stony Run
- Girl Scouts of Central Maryland
- Great Kids Farm
- Greater Baltimore Group Sierra Club
- Hampton National Historic Site
- Howard County Conservancy
- Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary
- Living Classrooms Foundation
- Maryland DNR, Wildlife and Heritage
- Maryland Fishing and Hunting
- Maryland Master Gardener/UMD Extension
- Maryland Master Naturalist Program, University of Maryland Extension
- Masonville Cove Partnership
- Natural History Society of Maryland
- North Point State Park
- Oregon Ridge Nature Center
- Owen Brown CARES
- Parks and People
- Patapsco Valley State Park
- Piney Run Park
- Robinson Nature Center
- Scouts BSA Troop 540
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
- Union Mills Homestead Foundation
- University of Baltimore
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Waterfront Partnership
If you have questions or if your organization is interested in partnering with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Involved Volunteer With Our Conservation Team!
Let's take this outside. Join the National Aquarium as we remove plastic pollution from habitats, plant wetland grasses and native gardens, document local wildlife and more.