10 - 12
$40 materials fee (if accepted)
Main Aquarium Campus
The National Aquarium Youth Exhibit Guide Program gives local high school students the opportunity to spend a summer volunteering at the Aquarium, working with our staff in our exhibits, sharing in the Aquarium's unique mission and magic.
This program will provide students with a realistic look at careers in marine biology, valuable work experience and an opportunity to connect with other students who share similar interests.
- Have successfully completed ninth grade by June 2022.
- Be environmentally aware.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in marine biology, environmental science and related fields.
- Enjoy interacting with, talking to and assisting guests of all ages.
Accepted students must:
- Commit to complete at least 85 volunteer hours during the program.
- Be available to attend program orientation May 22, 2022.
- Be available for training sessions the week of June 27 - July 1, 2022.
- Participate in exhibit floor shifts July 5 - August 16, 2022.
How To Apply
Applications for summer 2022 are now closed. Applications for summer 2023 will open in December of 2022.
If accepted into the program, participants will be asked to provide a $40 fee for course registration and materials. Need-based scholarships are available to our Baltimore City neighbors.
Disclaimer: The Youth Programs team is closely monitoring COVID-19 numbers and reserves the right to modify program details according to staff and participant safety.
Volunteering at the Aquarium provides a unique learning opportunity and valuable work experience with a wide range of benefits. As a guide in the galleries, you will enjoy:
- A realistic look at marine biology and STEAM careers.
- An opportunity to fulfill your school's community service requirements.
- A chance to meet new friends with shared interests.
- An array of marine science training classes.
- Social opportunities and activities.
- Staff discounts and privileges.
- A fun and unforgettable summer!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice
The National Aquarium is dedicated to creating an environment that is inclusive, equitable and accessible to people from all backgrounds. We cannot successfully change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet without connecting with and appreciating the broad diversity of identities, backgrounds, experiences and perspectives that make our community unique.