From Antarctica to downtown Baltimore, wildlife plays a critical role in the ecological, economic, educational, cultural balances of our daily lives. When certain developmental practices are over done by our society, wildlife, and in turn our own communities, are impacted.
Here are a few statistics about wildlife that may surprise you:
- Of the ocean we’ve explored and the species we’ve identified, more than 2,000 marine species are listed as “threatened” or endangered.
- Less than one percent of the ocean is protected.
- Approximately 14 percent of our land is protected.
- Close to one fourth of the species assessed by the IUCN have been deemed as at risk of extinction.
- 90 percent of the species protected by the Endangered Species Act here in the US have recovered!
- There has been a 700 percent increase in the extent of marine protected areas since 2003!