Five Ways to Make a Bigger Impact in 2015
Published December 17, 2014
As the hustle and bustle of the holidays begins to wind down, many of us are left thinking about the year ahead and resolutions!
Here at the National Aquarium, conservation is top-of-mind as we set goals for the future, and we hope that it is for others! Over the years, we’ve suggested lots of wonderful resolutions for day-to-day changes that will make a positive impact—things like switching to a re-usable water bottle, ramping up your recycling efforts, or reducing water use in your home.
For many of you, these actions have become a normal part of your daily routine. So the question remains…what’s can we strive for in 2015? While every instance of reduce, reuse, recycle, and repurpose does make a difference, individual actions alone are not going to solve global problems.
It is in this spirit that our proposed resolution for 2015 is to take the ideas and actions you are passionate about to a community level!
Together, we have the ability to engage at a bigger scale to make a bigger impact. Here are five easy steps to help you get started:
- Tap into Your Passion—What environmental issue are you are most passionate about? Channel that passion into focused, positive conversations. Try including a story about how this issue is relevant to you personally when you talk with others.
- Reach Out—Personal connections matter. Consider who your “community” really is. When engaging others about making environmentally conscious choices, start with groups that are close to home, like family members, co-workers, school administrators, other parents or neighborhood groups! In addition to reaching out to your own network, the digital age has made it easier than ever to find similarly minded environmental groups via social media or sites like Meetup.
- “Up” Your Political Support—Check out the Aquarium’s own Legislative Action page to see what opportunities exist for supporting ocean-friendly legislation.
- Join the Crowd—Getting involved with a conservation organization whose mission you support is a great way to meet like-minded folks and act on a community level! Consider helping local nonprofits make important decisions by sitting on their board, volunteering to serve on a committee or get your hands dirty at a field event!
- Read Up—For additional resources on kickstarting community-level solutions, visit aqua.org/action.
What are your resolutions for 2015? Share them with us in the comments section!