It's a special day for the National Aquarium family! Today marks both the one-year anniversary of the opening of our Blacktip Reef exhibit and the 33rd anniversary of the Aquarium's grand opening!
In celebration of this milestone, check out our “by-the-numbers” breakdown of Blacktip Reef and the coral reef habitat it represents!
Blacktip Reef, by the numbers:
- Construction time: 11 months
- Square footage: 13,500 square feet
- Cost: $12.7 million
- Gallons of water: 270,000
- Handcrafted coral pieces: 3,000+
- Species: 65, including 4 shark species, 1 turtle species and 2 ray species
Coral reefs, by the numbers:
- With over 700 species of coral and 3,000 species of fish, Indo-Pacific reefs are some of the world's most biodiverse!
- While reefs make up just .2 percent of the ocean floor, they support an estimated 25 percent of ocean life!
- Seventy-five percent of the world's reefs are considered threatened!
Can’t stop by Blacktip Reef in person today? Tune into Shark Cam at 2pm EST to virtually join our underwater birthday celebration!