Make your Dolphin Encounter tour even more memorable by purchasing a special occasion package that includes two general admission tickets to the National Aquarium, two spots on the Dolphin Encounter tour, and a buoy with a custom message delivered by one of the dolphins. This experience is the perfect option for someone celebrating a birthday, anniversary or proposal.
All participants must be at least 8 years of age to participate in this program. All guests under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a paying adult. Refunds will not be given for participants who do not meet the age requirements.
Pricing includes two general admission tickets to the National Aquarium, two spots on the Dolphin Encounter tour, and a buoy with a custom message delivered by one of the dolphins.
Please note that members must purchase a discounted guest ticket for any tour guest who is not covered by their membership.
How to Purchase
This experience is only available for guests participating in the Dolphin Encounter tour. To book your experience, call our Central Reservations team at 410-576-3833. Guests must purchase this experience at least three days in advance of their Dolphin Encounter tour.
Getting Ready for Your Tour
- Wear close-toed, non-slip shoes (no sandals, flip-flops, Crocs or heels).
- Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of your tour. Check in at our Staff Entrance, just around the corner from the Aquarium's Main Entrance and across from the USS Torsk submarine.
- You'll be asked to sign a waiver when you get here—save time by bringing a signed copy for each member of your group.
- For information about discounted parking, please check aqua.org/parking. Bring your ticket to have it validated before leaving the Aquarium.
- When booking your tour, please notify Central Reservations of any guests with special needs.
- Participants don't get in the water but should have basic swimming skills, as you'll be interacting with the dolphins next to an open water exhibit.
- Jewelry, glasses, hats and other items that may fall into the exhibit must be removed before going on deck with the dolphins.
- Cameras are welcome, but be mindful that they may get wet; the Aquarium is not responsible for loss or damage of personal items.
- You may get wet, so we recommend bringing a change of clothes.
Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable, including if you miss your tour due to late arrival. If the Aquarium cancels your program, you'll have the option to reschedule or receive a full refund.
To ensure that your tour hasn't been canceled due to unforeseen circumstances such as animal health or inclement weather, please call 410-576-8822 the day of your program for cancellation information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You'll visit behind-the-scenes areas during your tour.
A parent or guardian must accompany all participants under the age of 16. Minors 16 years of age or older may participate with a signed waiver from a parent or guardian. Parents or guardians accompanying children must be at least 18 years old. For example, a 17-year-old may attend a tour with a signed waiver, but their 10-year-old sibling may not accompany them without an adult.
You'll be traveling behind the scenes, so closed-toe, non-slip shoes are required. That means no Crocs, sandals, flip-flops or high heels. Comfortable clothing is recommended, and please refrain from wearing any jewelry, sunglasses or hats. If you have long hair, remember to bring a hair tie. Cameras and electronics are permitted but discouraged, because they may get wet. We recommend leaving bags and other personal items at home, as there may not be a place to store your belongings.
The package includes two general admission tickets to the National Aquarium, two spots on the Dolphin Encounter tour, and a buoy with a custom message delivered by one of the dolphins.
If a family member or friend wants to watch your Dolphin Encounter, they must purchase a Dolphin Encounter ticket and join you on the entire experience. If they choose not to participate, they can wait for Dolphin Discovery to open to the public and sit in the amphitheater seats. Please be advised that we cannot guarantee that friends and family will be able to observe the Encounter. Participants and family/friends can meet each other at 11 am when the experience concludes. Guests who choose to not purchase a Dolphin Encounter ticket will be required to purchase Aquarium admission.
No, although photos are allowed on the experience, there will be no staff available to take photos of you or your group during the experience.
To minimize impact on staff and other guests, there is a limit of one special occasion package for each Dolphin Encounter tour.
Please note that the other guests on your Dolphin Encounter tour, as well as any guests who are in Dolphin Discovery, will be present for the buoy delivery.
To avoid impacting the experience of other guests, we do not allow professional photographers on our tours. Guests are welcome to bring their personal cameras and take photos.
For animal safety, guests are not permitted to wear jewelry on the back deck of Dolphin Discovery. If you're proposing and bringing a ring, you may show your significant other the ring after the buoy is delivered, but you must wait until after your group has left the back deck to put the ring on.
Back to the Top