14 Ways to love the ocean by: Conservation Expert, Laura Bankey
- Play in/on it. It is hard to escape the respect and awe you will feel once you’ve immersed yourself in it.
- Discover what is beneath the surface. Become a certified SCUBA diver – or check out some of the amazing animals and habitats at the National Aquarium!
- Protect ocean habitat. Look for ways you can protect or restore vital ocean ecosystems. Join us for a coastal sand dune restoration event in Virginia Beach in May.
- Start at home. What you do in your home and your yard has downstream effects on our rivers, bays and oceans. Fertilize less (or not at all), discontinue use of herbicides and pesticides and don’t dump chemicals into your drains.
- Drive less. As distant as it seems, our greenhouse gas emissions on land are directly linked to ocean acidification. If we decrease the concentration of these gases in our atmosphere, we can help the oceans maintain a healthy balance.
- Learn to share. We share the ocean with an amazing array of plants and animals. Slow down when boating near marine mammals and sea turtles, make sure you retrieve any lost fishing line and watch animals from a distance to ensure their safety and yours.
- Eat sustainable seafood. Seafood is a very healthy meal option, but make sure the fish you eat is caught or farmed responsibly.
- Eat locally. See #5. Locally grown food options cut down on transportation in the supply chain and are fresher alternatives.
- Learn about ocean planning efforts. Join us for the Ocean Frontiers II Maryland Film Premiere to hear how lessons learned in New England will help guide efforts here to chart a new path for the Mid-Atlantic’s long-term health.
- Ditch the plastic. Plastic pollution is one of the most visible threats facing our oceans. Find ways to reduce the amount of disposable plastics you use in your daily routine.
- Definitely ditch the microplastics. Microplastics are the tiny plastic particles that show up in popular personal care products, like face scrubs. These plastics are washed immediately down the drain and into our nearby rivers and streams after use. Although hard to see with the naked eye, microplastics are seriously damaging the health of our oceans.
- Visit or support a National Marine Sanctuary. Similar to National Parks on land, these sanctuaries are areas set aside to help protect vital ocean resources.
- Stay inspired. Check out our live exhibit webcams if you ever need a quick dose of inspiration!
- Share it with your family. Form cherished memories by spending time with your family at the water’s edge. It will heighten your appreciation of both!
Are you fishing for love this February?
You just might find it at the National Aquarium, where February is the month to amaze the ones you love with a great deal on tickets! And while you are here, check out some of the other fun and romantic events happening around town and at the National Aquarium!
Visit the National Aquarium during the month of February*, and receive 2 adult admission tickets and 2 tickets to a 4D movie for only $59.95!
Enter promo code CUPID at checkout to receive the offer.
*Tickets can be purchased online using promo code CUPID. Additional online processing fee still applies. Not to be combined with any other offer. This discount may not be sold, reproduced or redeemed through TICKETMASTER. Offer valid 2/1/13-2/14/13 and 2/18-2/28. Offer not valid 2/15, 2/16, and 2/17.
Back to the Top