1. Jellyfish are found in all the world’s oceans. While other species have fallen victim to the effects of climate change, jellyfish have proven to thrive in warming oceans and are barely phased by acidification and pollution.
2. A group of jellyfish is called a "smack!" They can also be referred to as a bloom or a swarm.
3. Approximately 95 percent of a jelly’s body is water! Jellyfish have no brains, no blood, no bones and no heart.
4. Jellyfish have existed for approximately 600 million years. Jellyfish preceded the dinosaurs, insects, trees and flowers! To date, scientists have identified over 2,000 species of jellyfish.
5. Jellyfish have inspired many modern technologies, including a new kind of artificial heart. Harvard bioengineer Kit Parker cites a recent trip to an aquarium as the inspiration for a new prototyped artificial heart that mimics the pulsing of a moon jellyfish.
What do YOU want to know about jellyfish? Tweet us your questions!