A Fun, Green Way to Embrace the Holiday Season!
Published December 23, 2013
Are your friends and family taking part in the holiday spirit by doing random acts of kindness this time of year? I’ve seen loads of wonderful, heart-warming ideas floating around online that encourage us to do something nice for someone without expecting anything in return.
I wonder if we might take a slightly different take on this great trend. Random acts of "green-ness" help not only our neighbors, but also the oceans and the planet.
Here are a few ideas that will hopefully inspire your family to get in on this giving time of year:
- Carry two bags along on your next walk outside. Picking up recyclable items and litter on the sidewalk or in the park is one way to ensure that those items don’t end up in our storm drains and later in the ocean.
- Give neighbors, mail carriers, hairdressers a reusable water bottle (or coffee mug) as a thank you for all they do.
- Surprise fellow shoppers by buying a couple extra re-usable bags and offering them to people in line at the cash register.
- !rite a thank you letter (with kiddo art!) to a local environmental group or advocate who is working hard to help oceans and the world’s aquatic treasures.
- Thank a stranger in the grocery store for bringing their re-usable bag in instead of using the plastic one.
If you witness an act of green-ness or have ideas that you’d like to share, share them in the comments section! We’d love to hear from you!